Rocio is a senior teacher of the DNI school (www.dni-tango.com). Founded by Dana Frigoli and Pablo Villaraza, the school is one of the most popular in Buenos Aires, and known for its very acessible interpretation of tango technique called "Concetual Tango Technique" or TTC. Rocio will be giving three lessons in Cape Town which incorporate the thinking of TTC. She will also perform with Erik Peers at the Gran Milonga Africana on Friday 22 June.
What is Conceptual Tango Technique?
1. It is a tango teaching methodology
2. The methodology can be applied to the closed ,open or flexible embrace
3. It provides dancers with a vocabulary which allows them to analyse their own dancing with the aim of achieving greater fluidity.
4. It relates natural body movements with the movements of the tango. It is accessible for dancers of all levels.
5. It is a very broad technique and offers an analytical tool to investigate all areas of the tango, from classic elements like the giro , to newer elements like colgadas.
I have studied TTC quite extensively while living in Buenos Aires. It has helped me to understand how the whole body moves when dancing a figure, not just the steps or the embrace. For example, in teaching a sacada, the teacher will explain position of the hips, connection with the floor, posiitioning of the elbow, the embrace etc. In this way we learn to understand how our body works when we dance tango and open ourselves to the infinite opportunities the dance offers.
Dancers! Take up the challenge to learn someting new! Even if your technical background is different, a new perspective makes your dancing stronger and your perspective wider. Expanding your encounters is a way to grow your tango and develop your own style.
Thursday 21 June 18:30 20:00,: Introduction to Conceptual Tango Technique and how it applies to common tango movements (
Venue: To be confirmed
Thursday 21 June 20:15 - 21:45: How to use sacadas when dancing tango
Friday 22 June 19:30 - 21:00 Premilonga lesson with Rocio "Rhythmic structures for dancing tango (Introducing elements to dance with more musicality
21:00 - midnight Gran Milonga Africana with performance with Rocio Lequio and Erik Peers (Tango La Plata)
Cost: R150 for lesson and milonga or R70 for milonga with performance
Lesson, milonga and performance is great value for R150!